Frequently asked questions
Need some help understanding our site and how it works? Read through these questions and answers. If you’re still in the dark, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Open allClose all
- How does the XChangeConnection site work?
- The XChangeConnection site functions as a skills exchange portal which facilitates connections between contractors and businesses from the comfort of your own home or office. You are able to view contract positions available on the market, contact other contractors in the same field of work via our internal messaging system or simply put your CV out there for businesses to view. As a business you are able to view contractors’ CVs, contact potential contractors before setting up an interview or place an advertisement for your business.
- What is the difference between an independent contractor and an employee?
- According to the regulations set by the South African Revenue Services (SARS), amounts paid to an independent contractor are not classified as remuneration, and the business will therefore not deduct employees’ tax on these amounts. Click here to find out whether you qualify as an independent contractor.
- Is it free, or is there a catch?
- XChangeConnection offers free registration which enables you to use the site with limited functionality. There are different pricing plans for contractors and businesses. To find out more about these options please click here.
- Why can't I send messages?
- As a free registered member you have limited use of the internal messaging system. You are only able to respond to messages sent to you with pre-allocated one-liners or send a message to the administrator. If you are a paid member and are unable to send messages via the internal messaging system, there may be a technical problem. Please check that you are logged in and then contact the technical department on email@example.com or +2773 623 0183.
- Is my privacy respected?
- We understand that privacy is important to you. Your details are kept private by the XChangeConnection site. Your contact details are only visible to the website administrator and registered businesses on the website. Other contractors or free members are not able to see your name or contact details and are only able to contact you via the internal massaging system.
- Is the content on the site censored?
- XChangeConnection will monitor the content placed on the website periodically. If deemed inappropriate, the content will be removed immediately.
- I've forgotten my login details. What now?
- If you have forgotten your password or username, click on the login link in the top right corner. There is a block allocated for you to insert your email address in order to have your username and password emailed to you. Alternatively, you can contact the administrator who will reset your username and password for you.
- Can I change my password?
- Yes. To change your password, log in with your current details, click on the “My Account” button and when the new window opens type your new password in the allocated block. Remember to click the “Update” button at the bottom of the page.
- Why must I set up a profile to use the site?
- You need to register first to see what the site has to offer. You are not liable for any sign-up fees when registering. If you like the site you can sign up for a paid membership once you have registered, granting you full access to the website.
- Do I have to pay to set up a profile?
- No, registration is free. Once your account has been activated by the administrator you are able to log in and upgrade to a one-month or four-month membership, granting you full access to the website.
- How do I set up my profile?
- Once you have logged in to the XChangeConnection website, click on the Contractor or Business sign-up button under the “Search” tab on the home page of the website. This will open a window with various fields that you need to complete. Once you have completed the online form, you will receive an email with your username and password. You will also be asked to verify your email address; once this is done the administrator will activate your account. Once your account has been activated you can log in and enjoy the benefits of the XChangeConnection website.
- Can I change my username?
- No, your username – or in this case user number – is system-generated and cannot be changed.
- How do I change my profile?
- You are able to change your profile as often as you like. XChangeConnection allows you to log in and change your details to ensure that your latest achievement is out there for businesses to see. Once you have logged in, click on “My Account” and then “Edit my Account” in the drop-down menu. This will open your profile details, allowing you to edit your details, upload a photograph or upgrade your membership account.
- Can I hide my profile from public view?
- No, you are unable to hide your profile from public view, but all your contact details and personal information is only visible to the site administrator and registered businesses. Other contractors or people simply browsing the site are unable to retrieve any personal information from your profile.
- How do I delete my profile?
- If you would like to delete your profile or have it removed from the XChangeConnection site, please contact the site administrator.
- How do I add a photo to my profile?
- Once you have found the perfect photograph to complement your CV, save it on your desktop for easy access. Log in to your account and click on “My Account”, then “Edit my account”. Your profile page will open up with a link at the top of your profile that reads “Click here to change your photo”. A new page will open, with a heading that says “Upload a picture”. Click on the “Browse” button. A window will open, allowing you to browse your computer files until you find your photograph. Click on the “Open” button and then click “Upload picture”.
- Will my photo automatically be displayed on my profile?
- Yes, once you have uploaded your photograph it will automatically be displayed on your profile.
- Are there any specific requirements for adding photos?
- Photographs need to be smaller than 2MB for you to be able to upload them to the website.
- Why did my photo disappear from my profile?
- If your photograph has disappeared from your profile please contact the technical department on firstname.lastname@example.org or +2773 623 0183.
- How do I search?
- To search positions:
Please select the industries of interest to you in order to search positions available on XChangeConnection. A list will then be populated according to your selection. XChangeConnection allows you to save searches, print details on positions and contact the business of your choice using our internal messaging system.
To search contractors:
You can search the contractors listed on XChangeConnection by filling in the required position or selecting an industry from the drop-down menu provided. This will allow you to view registered contractors and their CVs and contact them via our internal messaging system.
- How do I search for a specific member name?
- You are unable to search for a member name as details are kept private and only member numbers are visible on the site.
- Why do I not get any results when I search?
- Your search may not match any of the available contractors or positions on the site. You are able to save your search and when something that meets your criteria becomes available you will be notified.
- How do I refine my search?
- You are able to select specific fields/industries that you are interested in viewing. In this case, only positions that are relevant to you will be displayed.
Contacting other members
- How do I contact another member?
- As a contractor you are able to contact another member via our internal messaging system. You can do this in one of two ways:
As a business, you are able to view members’ full CVs, including contact details. Alternatively, you are able to use the internal messaging system before making an appointment with a potential contractor.
- Click on the “Send a message” link on the member’s CV, or
- Click on the “Messages” link under the “My account” drop-down menu. Fill in the member number (who you would like to send the message to), subject and body of the message. Click “Send”.
- Can I send a message without clicking on the other member's profile?
- Yes. Click on the “Messages” link under the “My account” drop-down menu. Fill in the member number (who you would like to send the message to), subject and body of the message. Click “Send”.
- Will any of my details be visible?
- Your details will only be visible to the website administrator and registered businesses. Other contractors will not be able to view any of your contact details.
- I received a message from another member. How do I reply?
- Click on “Received items” under “Messages”. Your messages will be listed. Click on the message you would like to reply to. (Remember that free registered members have limited reply options to messages received. To have full access to the messaging system you need to be a paid member.)
Click on the member number in the “From” field to reply. A message window will open, allowing you to reply to the sender. Click on the “Send message” button once you are ready to send your reply.
- Must I be a paid member to receive messages?
- Yes, only paid members are able to use this functionality. Free registered members have limited access to the messaging system.
- I accidentally deleted a message I received. Can you help?
- Sorry, once a message has been deleted there is no way to retrieve or track it.
- How do I stop receiving messages from a specific member?
- If you would like to stop a member from contacting you, please contact the site administrator to explain the situation and we will take it up with the member.
- What does it cost to subscribe to XChangeConnection?
- There are various pricing plans for the XChangeConnection site. View the various business and contractor options.
- How do I pay?
- You can pay via our online payment facility using your credit card. Alternatively you can do an EFT or bank deposit, and send the proof of payment to email@example.com or fax it to 021 975 1715.
- Is it safe to enter my credit card details on the site?
- Yes, XChangeConnection uses a secure payment facility provided by PayGate.
- Will my subscription automatically be renewed?
- No, the site administrator will notify you one week prior to your membership expiry date that your membership has almost expired, to give you enough time to upgrade. If you miss your deadline your details will not be removed from the site, you will simply be downgraded to a free registered member again, giving you limited access to the site.
- I have not used all of my subscription and I wish to delete my profile. Will I be refunded for the balance?
- No, unfortunately we do not offer refunds. Please refer to our terms and conditions.
- Will my profile remain on the site after my subscription has come to an end?
- Yes, your profile will remain on the site, but you will be downgraded to a free registered membership. If you would like your profile removed from the site please contact the administrator.